Cooking, Recipe Writing... And a little about Me!

 


(Pictured: Me! 100 pounds lost  12/23/2020)

I have always loved to cook.  My earliest memories of cooking on my own began with one of my most favorite Christmas gifts, an Easy Bake Oven! Yes! The art of cooking cakes and cookies by the electric glow of a GE lightbulb 💡. We all have to start somewhere. I fondly remember my Mom, opting for us to bake bigger and better things, outside of the easy bake, and so I graduated to the big oven. I baked my first cake (from a cake mix of course) and we made icing from scratch, tinted it an odd shade if mauve and garnished it with rainbow 🌈 sprinkles.

I grew up around women (and a guy or 2) that also loved spending time in the kitchen. The kitchen was the heart of the household. Where family and friends gathered, smiles, love and laughter were all shared. And Grace was said over every meal. We ate home grown vegetables that came from my Uncle's garden and spent summers shucking corn and shelling peas that we tirelessly spent hours picking at a local farmer's market and garden. And you cannot talk about food without mentioning my Mamaw's fried chicken and Southern Sweet Tea! 

Holidays meant special treats like homemade cakes and pies and candies galore that my Grandmother would bake for weeks at a time just to ensure we all got our fill, and then some. My Mom baked for days upon days, a large array of cookies and candies that were gobbled up in a short amount of time.

Sadly, these women are no longer with us. My Grandmother (my Mom's Mom) passed from her battle with Alzheimer's (2001) as did my own Mother, very recently at the young age of 68 (October 16, 2020) .

It's because of these wonderful home cooks that I was so blessed with in my life, that I have learned to love to cook.  And now I have kids of my own, I am attempting to instill in them the art, craft and love for cooking and baking. 

But times have changed and after a long battle with being overweight most of my adult life, I opted to have bariatric surgery- RNY, to regain control of my eating habits and health as a whole.  In a short 10 months time, I have lost 109 pounds. I am not finished just yet, as I have about 35 or so to go to meet my personal goal. 

So, we, as a family, have decided to cut the carbs, the sugar and anything else termed "bad" or "unhealthy" and switch our thinking, our recipes and love for food to a more low carb and clean way of eating.

I hope to inspire your own cooking adventures. And that you enjoy my recipes that I have created for our family meals and yours.

Comments

Popular Posts